Thursday, March 1, 2012

About Me

 Updated: December 5th, 2014

So I've had this blog for a while, time to introduce myself.

I'm a mom to two wonderful children. My daughter is autistic and my son has ADHD, Due to their special needs, I home-school both of them.

I have a somewhat quirky sense of humor and I love anything sci-fi. I also in my spare time enjoy playing World of Warcraft.

You could say that I grew up in retail, I started working in my mom's gift store at seven years old. Customer service is in my blood, I've worked retail for twenty-five years so far.

I am also addicted to fabric. Mainly all those beautiful cotton quilting fabrics. I easily have a year's worth of fabric in my stash. There's nothing I love better than combining different fabrics into a beautiful quilt. I also really love the natural world and bringing some of those images and motifs into quilts.

I have been quilting for twelve years and to date, have completed three hundred and thirty-seven quilts. I also have won twenty one awards so far from the Oklahoma State Fair. Because
I love sewing, I can spend anywhere from five to twelve hours a day in my sewing room.

And now the part of the blog post that you guys have been waiting for - what's up with the prices?

Making a quilt is a very labor intensive process. From picking out the fabrics; to washing, cutting and sewing the blocks together, then finally adding borders. After that comes selecting and sewing the backing, then basting the quilt together and finally quilting a binding. To make a "simple" baby quilt like this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/70381634/classic-green-baby-quilt

takes a minimum of twenty hours of work. Larger quilts take even more time to finish. The last double wedding ring quilt I made took over a hundred and fifty hours from start to finish.

When I purchase fabric, I only shop at my local quilt stores - not big chains. I'm lucky in that I have a great group of stores to shop at in the OKC metropolitan area, and they are staffed by some truly awesome people.

The stores I shop at are:

http://okquiltworks.com/

http://www.savagequilter.com/home.aspx

http://extraspecialfabric.com/

http://www.soonerquilts.com/

So the prices of the quilts reflect both the cost of the materials I use and the time investment to make it. I don't make "wal-mart" quality quilts. I make award-winning quilts that can be washed in a machine and will last a lifetime. I take pride in my work and every quilt must meet my standards before I list it for sale.

Any other questions, just comment here or email me through my shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment